Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Why Both Meditation and Yoga?

I recommend to you this essay, The Complete Package: Meditation and Yoga by Cyndi Lee, which originally appeared in the July 2001 issue of Shambhala Sun. If you're not aware, Shambhala Sun is a magazine on Buddhism, culture, meditation and life.

Written by my former teacher and mentor in New York City, Cyndi Lee includes this vivid episode about a frightening accident as a spark for why one practices yoga and the variety of benefits. What she describes here echoes my own experience with yoga, though I’ve never been dumped unexpectedly into the rapids of a river.

She sets forth her ideas about how yoga can be meditation in movement and how to approach your physical practice with a sense of curiosity rather than judgments measured against goals.

She’s a wise yogini, and I encourage you to read the full article here.

No comments: