Monday, February 5, 2007

Revised Schedule & Music Now Available


Are your days flying by but you've not yet made time for yoga? nilambu classes began this week with a return to the basics - a review of that self-administered foot massage to wake up the feet for standing postures. We then did the standing postures with an emphasis on extending the spine. Finally, we started our nilambu philosophical focus with a spotlight on compassion. A new schedule is shaking out so be sure to check the schedule on the nilambu web site for updates.

Please come by a try a class! Or if you're too shy, try a private. The first try out is free. Yoga is for everyone and more than physical postures (called asana in Sanskrit). An asana is not a posture which you assume mechanically. It involves thought, at the end of which a balanced is achieved between movement and resistance. - BKS Iyengar.

Finally, with the start of the new year, I've assembled some unique nilambu playlists. Yes, music is an integral part of nilambu classes. Using music in yoga classes is a source of debate. I use it in class because I've experienced music's power with movement and how sound can work on a subtle level on the brain and even change the breath. My perspective on this debate is shaped by my experience growing up in ballet classes, no doubt. And my yoga practice deepened when after 4 years I discovered yoga could be done to music. Sound gave me a whole new dimension to "meditation in movement."

But that said, I also very much appreciate the value of silence. So nilambu classes offer a bit of silence too. There's just not enough of the absence of sound in our lives and silence can be immeasurably useful in order to bring awareness to our experiences and to our body.

I've published my playlists on iTunes as an iMix, and the list is available now. (For some reason, clicking on the link below doesn't work with my default internet browser, Mozilla Firefox. But if I paste the link into Microsoft Explorer, itunes opens the imusic store no problem. Unusual instance of synergy between Microsoft and Apple.) Look for more in the future.

No comments: