Tuesday, February 1, 2005

How To Meditate

Meditation is prolonged concentration. You can concentrate on a sound (or mantra or prayer beads) or an image (icon or a candle) or a passage of writing (or scripture). Or you can simply focus on your breath.

As your mind wanders (and it will), once you notice that meandering simply bring your attention back to your point of focus. Be neutral and non-judgmental toward your distractions. Simply begin again. See the analogy quoted below about the quality of the mind in meditation.

Some recommend that if you are feeling sluggish to place your palms up either in your lap or on your knees or thighs. And if you are feeling hyper to place your palms down and on your lap, knees or thighs.

Also, before I sit down on my mat alone, I often jot down my list of things to do. I found that if I don’t do this, all the things I’d not done would pop into my head during my meditation, and then I would worry I’d not remember them later. And the train would be off away from my object of focus. I keep a pad of paper nearby, so I can jot thoughts down and let them go. Thoughts will arise. Some thoughts are easier to let go if I know they are safely written down.

Start with a short time. For beginners, 3 minutes can seem like an eternity. Add minutes and work up to 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes. Some meditate 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night. Some do a prolonged single session. Others combine their meditation with a practice of prayer or journaling. Some meditate every day; some when they remember to do so.

The more you meditate, the more the people in your life will notice that you do.

No comments: