Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ginger Clove Tea Can Warm You and Your Home


This tea is a favorite of mine, and more days than not, I've got it brewing on the stove. The first few sips can be strong.  The ginger is an anti-inflammatory and can sooth stomach ails too.  The recipe is an adaptation from the Ginger Tea I drank at my first yoga retreat at Parrot Cay.  And I drank it constantly.  For more on the benefits of ginger, click here. And my home always smells wonderful, too.  

Here’s how I make it –

Ingredients:
A large piece of ginger root (a little larger than the size of your hand)
5 or 6 whole cloves
A gallon of water
2 limes
Honey (optional)

Instructions:
First, wash the ginger root.   Don’t peel it.  It's difficult to do and not really necessary.   I dice up the ginger into about half inch pieces (about the size of a pinky nail) and put them in a pot with the water and the cloves.  Sometimes as I'm dicing the ginger I find some more dirt in the , and I just rinse the piece off again. Then simmer and reduce the liquid until the brew is a nice caramel color.   After you make it a few times, you’ll figure out what shade provides the strength of flavor you prefer.   Adjust the amount of liquid or ginger accordingly.  Sometimes I add more water when I’ve left it too long on the stove and start the reduction again (but by then my home smells wonderful).   
  
To serve, I either use a French Press to filter out the ginger pieces and cloves, or I scoop out the liquid, avoiding the ginger, directly into a mug.   I add the juice of one half lime per mug.   You can add honey to taste.  I used to add the honey, but I don’t any longer.  Agave syrup or maple syrup is fine to use as a sweetener if you prefer as well. 

And voila!  A winter drink that’s healthy and yummy.      

No comments: